Subject: [PATCH] sched: Switch wait_task_inactive to HRTIMER_MODE_REL_HARD
From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 22:47:37 +0200

With PREEMPT_RT enabled all hrtimers callbacks will be invoked in
softirq mode unless they are explicitly marked as HRTIMER_MODE_HARD.
During boot kthread_bind() is used for the creation of per-CPU threads
and then hangs in wait_task_inactive() if the ksoftirqd is not
yet up and running.
The hang disappeared since commit
   26c7295be0c5e ("kthread: Do not preempt current task if it is going to call schedule()")

but enabling function trace on boot reliably leads to the freeze on boot
behaviour again.
The timer in wait_task_inactive() can not be directly used by an user
interface to abuse it and create a mass wake of several tasks at the
same time which would to long sections with disabled interrupts.
Therefore it is safe to make the timer HRTIMER_MODE_REL_HARD.

Switch the timer to HRTIMER_MODE_REL_HARD.

Cc: [email-masked]
Link: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
Signed-off-by: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <[email-masked]>
---
 kernel/sched/core.c |    2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

--- a/kernel/sched/core.c
+++ b/kernel/sched/core.c
@@ -3250,7 +3250,7 @@ unsigned long wait_task_inactive(struct
 			ktime_t to = NSEC_PER_SEC / HZ;
 
 			set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
-			schedule_hrtimeout(&to, HRTIMER_MODE_REL);
+			schedule_hrtimeout(&to, HRTIMER_MODE_REL_HARD);
 			continue;
 		}